Wednesday, January 21, 2009

History In The Making

I was born in the 50s so that makes me a baby boomer. I grew up on the cusp of the civil rights movement. My parent's weren't active in the movement, but one of my best friend's parents were. I was able to meet the Reverends Joseph Lowery, and C. T. Vivian, and an up and coming warrior Reverend Jesse Jackson Sr. Those where the days...

I remember when Dr. King was assassinated in 1968 and the riots that occurred on the west side of Chicago. I believe my mother kept me home the day after Dr. King was killed. The mood was quiet and somber in my house.

I remember the pictures in Jet magazine detailing Dr. King's funeral and how little Berniece cradled in her mother's arms. I was moved that I wrote Yolanda King a letter offering my sympathies. Every year on Dr. King's birthday, I get chills when I listen to his speech, I Have A Dream.

Dr. King's dream came to fruition on January 20, 2009 when Barrack Obama was sworn in as our 44th President. I know, Dr. King was smiling down from heaven. How proud he must have been of America. I think I read in the newspaper that he predicted an African American would ascend to the presidency within 25-40 years of the sixties and he was correct.

Like most Americans I was moved by the historic moment when President Obama took the oath of the highest office in the land. I just hope that America will give our new president the time he needs to bring his plans to reality so that Dr. King's dream will be further fulfilled and America can be restored to it's rightful place as a super nation.

No comments: